Making decisions

Senior, and recent Indiana University of South Bend commit, Norell Smith (12), wants to end his high school basketball career on a high note. The boys are currently 4-1.

“So far the season is going pretty well, I think by the time playoffs start, we can make it all the way to semi state. That’s only if we have the right mindset,” Smith said.

Smith has played for Lake Central’s basketball team for four years, and this is his third year on varsity. Over his span at Lake Central he has grown and learned a lot.

“Since last year, I have grown a ton. I take responsibility, and when I make a mistake, I don’t hang my head, I just move onto the next play,” Smith said.

His experience on the basketball team has also helped him decide what he wanted to do for his future. It was a hard for him to decide which college to commit to, and his family had a lot of impact on his decision.

“My family supported my decision to go to Indiana University South Bend because they really liked the school and how it is set up but knowing I’m going to college on a full ride means a lot to me and them,” Smith said.

Above all, Norell had the ultimate decision, and picked a school that could please him and his family.  

“I felt like it would be a great fit for me and it’s not that far from home, so my family can come to a lot of my games. If I decided to go somewhere else they wouldn’t be able to,” Smith said.