The spread of senioritis

A student lays their head on their book showing they have no motivation. Senioritis has been hitting seniors harder towards the end of the school year.

As the start of second semester hit, so did senioritis for many seniors. Senioritis, or having no motivation to do anything school-related exclusively in the senior class, impacted some students harder than they expected.

“Even though I planned that this year would be easier than my previous years in school, it still hit me harder than I thought it would,” Gavin Baisa (12) said.

For some seniors, high school work doesn’t seem to matter because they have already been accepted into college.

“Grades-wise it doesn’t really matter to me because I’m more focused on passing my AP tests so that I can just get the credits for my college classes,” Baisa said.

The so-called ‘disease’  seems to hit everyone at different times.

“After I visited the college I’m going to [it hit me the most]. I just realized that I don’t want to be in high school anymore and I want to move into college and experience new things,” Meghan Teumer (12) said.

Senioritis can affect more than just motivation for some students; it can also affect their organizational skills and create bad habits.

“I’m a complete unorganized mess. For example, my books are kind of strewn about my room and I don’t keep track of when assignments are due so I’m scrambling to get them done at the last second and I’m stressed about it,” Teumer said.

As the year comes to a close slowly but surely, so will all the cases of senioritis.

“I’m excited for my senior year to end and to begin the next chapter in my life. I’ll definitely have more motivation in college because it’ll be something new and different,” Baisa said.