Swimming to Third Place at Sectionals

Savanna Spears (11), Maggie DePirro (9), Rachel Albright (11) and Sara Erwin (12) hug after earning third in the 200-yard freestyle relay. This relay event helped the team accumulate points.

On Feb. 4, the girls varsity swimming and diving team competed at Crown Point High School for Sectional Finals. The girls placed third with 366 points, while Crown Point took second and Munster captured first. Lake Central’s three relays each finished in third place. Coach Todd Smolinski, Social Studies, was fairly satisfied with the team’s performance.

“My expectations were to come out, swim fast and go after our best times and try to qualify for state. I think we did that today,” Coach Smolinski said.

A few underclassmen took the spotlight at the meet. Maggie DePirro (9) and Michaela Spears (9) both qualified for and placed in four events.

“[My first Sectional meet] was fun and a new experience. You have to get past being nervous and just get out there and swim,” Michaela Spears (9) said.

Another major contribution to the team’s third place finish was diver and team captain Kallie Higgins’ (12) first-place finish in the diving event. With 446.90 points, Higgins broke the 11-dive pool record.

“It felt really great to get first place, and it’s kind of bittersweet being the last meet I get to spend with my team,” Higgins said.

Higgins’ feelings of sentiment were also shared by others on the team. Fellow team captain and senior Sara Erwin (12) was particularly delighted that the team finished the swimming season on a positive note.

“I am very, very proud [of the team]. From the first meet, we were not too sure of how we were going to do this season, and I think we’ve come a really, really long way. We’ve proved we deserve to do well, and we’ve really kept it going,” Erwin said.