Lending a helping hand

Kaitlyn Kennedy (10) wears her uniform she wears when volunteering at Franciscan St. Margaret hospital. Kennedy first started volunteering in Jan. 2017.

Kaitlyn Kennedy (10) spends four hours a week at Franciscan St. Margaret hospital volunteering alongside the doctors and nurses who work there.

“When I volunteer, I fill waters, I deliver flowers, I deliver food, I direct people to where they need to be, I help them find their loved ones and I comfort people in a time of need,” Kennedy said.

Kennedy plans to continue in the medical field after she graduates from high school.

“I chose to volunteer at the hospital because I want to go into the medical field in the future, and I think this is a good preliminary round to see if I like the field,” Kennedy said.

This volunteer opportunity is preparing Kennedy for her future, as she wants to become a neurosurgeon or a pediatric surgeon.

“I get a lot out of volunteering because I work with a lot of nurses and nurses-in-training, and they tell me what I need to know and they talk to me about college and how to prepare for Med school,” Kennedy said.

Kennedy is looking forward to continue volunteering and taking everything she’s learning and applying it to her career later in life.

“I like volunteering, it’s very fun and it’s enjoyable and I learn a lot while I’m at the hospital,” Kennedy said.