Gymnastics Falls to the Trojans

Abby Ispas (12) does a front tuck during her floor routine. The team competed Tuesday, Feb. 7.

On Tuesday, Feb. 7, the Lake Central gymnastics team competed at Chesterton High School against the Chesterton Trojans. The Indians lost to the Trojans 112-95.

“I think today was a difficult meet coming in. We know that Chesterton has been scoring really high, they are a fantastic team, they are a young team but they are really good,” Mrs. Lolkema, head coach of the team, said.

The team worked hard, but they all agree that there is room for improvements.

I think we are going to work harder these next two practices so we can do really well at the next meet. We all know what we need to improve on so we just have to work hard on it in practice,” Jennifer Campos (10) said.

Jennifer Campos (10) celebrated her return to the team. Campos suffered an injury when practicing before the season started.

“This in my first meet back and there were a lot of nerves today. Overall, I think I did the best I could do for my first meet back. I’m definitely going to work harder for the next meet we have,” Campos said.

The girls will head back to practice to prepare for their next meet.

“I am expecting that they work hard. I’m expecting that we come into practice focused. They know what they need to work on. At this point in the season, they know what they struggle with at meets,” Mrs. Lolkema said.

Maya Tobin placed fourth on bars and all-around, Sophia Born placed fifth for all-around and Jennifer Campos placed fourth on floor.

The team’s next meet is Wednesday, Feb.15, at LaPorte High School against LaPorte.