Q&A: Mohammed Hijaz (12)

Mohammed Hijaz (12, far right) poses with friends in front of his future college. Hijaz was one out of 1,511 applicants accepted into Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Q: When did you find out that you were accepted to Massachusetts Institute of Technology?

A: There’s actually a specific day to [find out if you were accepted]. They tell everyone on Pi Day, which is March 14.

Q: How did you feel?

A: I couldn’t even feel myself; I was so excited. I was at the point of excitement where you don’t even know that you’re on Earth anymore. You feel like you’re in the sky. I started jumping around and my parents started jumping around. It was just a really happy experience learning that I was accepted.

Q: How did you find out that you were accepted?

A: I found out through a student terminal that [MIT] runs. You go on and you don’t even have to click ‘OK’. As soon as you put in your information it just tells you whether you were accepted or not.

Q: Why do you want to go to MIT?

A: I want to go to MIT because I really want to do research and bioengineering and they have a really good engineering program over there, one of the best in the world. It was a dream to go there, but now that I see myself going there I know that I’ll be able to make a living off of what I learn there.

Q: Why do you think that you were accepted over other students?

A: I personally know that I put in a lot of hard work to diversify my portfolio. I did a lot of academic clubs, extracurricular activities, played sports and even more clubs. I kept up my grades and I did really well on my math and science scores on my SAT and ACT. Overall I think that I’m very personable and that I nailed my interview that I processed to them.

Q: What are your plans concerning your future?

A: My plans include getting an undergraduate degree in bioengineering. I might apply to John Hopkins Medical School or maybe Harvard’s medical school and do something in engineering.