Q&A: Sydney Vandersteeg (12)

Sydney Vandersteeg (12) stands on the start line for the open 400 meter race as she waits for the gun. Vandersteeg ran the 400 and the 4×400 relay during a meet on April 18. Photo Credit: Kaylynn Ward

Q: Are you going to run track or cross country in college? If so, what college do you plan on running for?

A: I’m running track and cross country for IUPUI. I’m really excited to run for IUPUI. My boyfriend was on the team there and my friend Megan Zajac, Class of 2015,  runs there and I can’t wait to be teammates with her again. I start training over the summer on my own and then when the school year starts I’ll be with the team. All the incoming freshmen are from different places and I haven’t met them yet.

Q: How does it feel to be on your senior year of high school track?

A: It’s strange, but I’m just trying to enjoy the time I have left with my friends this season.

Q: How long have you been running and how long have you been on varsity?

A: I’ve been running since my freshman year and I’ve been on varsity since freshman year.

Throughout high school I’ve ran the 4×800, 800, 400, two mile, 4×400, and I ran the mile once. I mainly run the 4×800, 800, and 4×400. I’m not sure what events I’ll run in college, but I like the events I run now.

Q: Which do you enjoy more, cross country or track?

A: Cross and track are different but I enjoy running cross more just because the course is always different and it keeps it interesting, but I do enjoy running shorter distance in track.

Q: What is something you will miss from either track or cross country?

A: I will miss my teammates the most and all our crazy adventures.

Q: What is something you look forward to during track season or cross country season?

A: I look forward to meeting new people and running for a new coach and the college experience in general.