Swimming through a loss

A Lake Central swimmer swims during the 200 meter relay. This was the second JV girls swim meet of the year.

Junior varsity girls swimming went up against Valparaiso during a joint boys and girls, JV and varsity swim meet on Tuesday, Nov. 28. While varsity girls managed to defeat the Vikings, the JV girls suffered a 99-81 loss.

Although the lady Indians fell short this particular meet, Coach Daniel Fox, Science, is proud of the progress his swimmers are making.

“So far [the season’s] been good. We’re still pretty early into it, but we’ve been practicing a lot and conditioning. A lot of [the girls] are first year swimmers; they’re making a ton of progress already,” Coach Fox said.

This is Coach Fox’s first year coaching the team, and while he’s facing the struggles of being a first year teacher and coach, he still finds coaching rewarding and feels it’s the best part of his job.

“It’s been hard trying to balance being a first year teacher and a first year coach at the same time. It’s a lot of time commitment, especially on meet days when you’re here until 8 or 8:30, but it’s been great. It’s the best part of my job, for sure,” Coach Fox said.

Moving forward, Coach Fox wants his team to continue the practice and conditioning his team has been doing, in hopes that some of his team members can move up to a varsity position.

“My goal is to get all the girls that I’m working with in JV to move up to what we call the “jarsity” level, which is sort of in the middle of JV and varsity, so that everyone is swimming on the same level,” Coach Fox said.

The next JV girls swim meet takes place on Saturday, Dec. 9 against Penn High School.