Q&A: Sarah Santana (12)

Sarah Santana (12) is going to Grand Valley State University to major in nursing. GVSU is located in Allendale, Mich. Photo By: Grand Valley State University.

Q: What school are you going to for nursing?

A: [I’m going to] Grand Valley State University.

Q: What made you want to become a certified nursing assistant?

A: Because I am graduating at semester, I wanted to find a full time job that would also prepare me for my future career. A CNA is an entry level career you can get in the hospital setting. I thought it would be a great way to get experience in my field, and to work alongside nurses.

Q: How did you know you wanted to work in the medical field?

A: I have always had an interest in learning about the anatomy and physiology of the human body. I also have a passion for helping people through their toughest moments. I decided that nursing would be the perfect balance between compassionate patient care and the study of the body.

Q: Has anyone in your life inspired you to be in the medical field?

A: I have three cousins that are registered nurses, and they work hard everyday. They have inspired me to take on the challenge of nursing. All of them love their jobs and have shown me why I should take on nursing.

Q: What have you done to prep for nursing school?

A: In high school, I took coursework such as chemistry, biology, anatomy and physiology, and introduction to sports medicine. My certified nursing assistant classes will be the most preparation I will have before nursing school.

Q: What advice would you give someone who’s wanting to go into the medical field?

A: I would tell them to take as many classes that are related to the medical field, and to explore entry level careers like a CNA to gain experience.

Q: Do you have any specific goals for your future?

A: My goal is to graduate Grand Valley State University with a BS in nursing. I would eventually like to obtain my masters degree and become a nurse practitioner.