Bending forwards and backwards for success

Madison O’Drobinak (12) concentrates on holding her stance on the beam. O’Drobinak swept her leg under the other in order to do a full turn while balancing on the beam.

On Tuesday, Jan. 23, the Lake Central Gymnastics team competed against LaPorte and Valparaiso high schools at 6:00 P.M. The competition was held at Valparaiso High School. The girls competed in vault, bars, beam and floor.

“I definitely think we struggled on beam today but we made up for it on a lot of the other events because we still beat our team record so that was good,” Gabrielle DeVries (11) said.

The team is always looking for ways to improve their scores. They know that being a team means they need to work hard to work together when preparing and competing.

“Definitely sportsmanship [is an important part of competing] and knowing that it’s not an individual sport but it’s a team sport. Just always know that if you mess up you have teammates that will make up for that,” Mia Somenzi (9) said.

The team has high hopes for the rest of the season and has set goals that they are determined to reach.

“I really hope we get a 105 team score, and I hope we beat more conference teams than last year,” DeVries said.

The gymnastics team’s first home competition will be Thursday, Jan. 25, against Crown Point High School.