Swimming from Sectionals to State

Chantal Almazan (12) competes in breaststroke. This was Almazan’s last IHSAA event as a varsity swimmer.

The girls varsity swim team competed in the IHSAA Sectional finals on Feb. 3. The girls travelled to Munster, the home of the reigning Sectional champion team, and ended up placing second only to Munster. The girls faced a very back-and-forth meet, constantly switching places with Munster from first to second. The hard work and hours spent practicing before and after school allowed the team to trust in their training and produce great times.

“Practices have been hard, but they usually are. [The coaches] have been working us really hard this year on our technique, our underwaters, our starts, our turns, our strokes and working on everything we can by doing a lot of drills,” Rachel Albright (12) said.

Along with their podium finish, Hannah Spoolstra (9) qualified for State in the 200 meter and 500 meter freestyle, Maggie Depirro (10) qualified for State for the 200 individual medley, Savannah Spears (12) qualified for State in the 50 meter and 100 meter freestyle, and the 200 meter and 400 meter freestyles relays both qualified for State as well.

“During this week leading up to State, I’ll start working on my fine-tunes, my turns, my breakouts and my starts. My only goal for State is to get into the top 16 or top eight and drop some more time to get my sister’s record,” Spears said.