An end to a chapter: Assistant Superintendant Mr. Al Gandolfi announces retirement

Mr. Al Gandolfi poses for his school picture. Mr. Gandolfi announced his retirement at the board meeting Feb. 20.

Mr. Al Gandolfi, Assistant Superintendent, has announced his retirement at the Lake Central school board meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 20. His retirement will be effective as of July 1, 2018.

“I’ve been in public education for 34 years and I think it is time to do something different. I really want to get back to helping people [and] possibly working with students,” Mr. Gandolfi said.

Mr. Gandolfi is unsure on what he wants to do post retirement, but he would like to work with students again. Being Assistant Superintendent limited Mr. Gandolfi to engagement with students.

“I do enjoy my job as Assistant Superintendent, but I don’t get to spend a lot of time with students or feel like I am a part of their overall educational growth in my current position,” Mr. Gandolfi said.

Mr. Gandolfi will be Assistant Superintendent for almost eight years. He was formerly Director of Secondary education, principal of Elliot Elementary School and assistant principal at Munster High School. Dr. Larry Verraco, Superintendent, will put out applications in the very near future.

“I’m not really sure what I’ll do. I do owe a retail store called Tasty Olive Company in Highland with my wife Lynn, we sell high quality olive oil and balsamic vinegars.  I also own Athletes by Design a personal training company that works with athletes.  I am excited about my new adventure, SHAPE_ Sharing Hope, Addiction Prevention Education, Inc. my two partners are Jerry Patrick our school resource officer and Charity Lyda a teacher at Watson.  We believe the solution to the opioid crisis in this country starts with education, SHAPE aims to educate parents on the early warning signs of abuse and addiction.  I would also like to be an advocate for students and parents who are struggling. There are many opportunities out there, but I am not sure exactly what I will end up doing,” Mr. Gandolfi said.