On the right track

Lake Central runners run against Crown Point runners during a race. Lake Central won the meet.

On Tuesday, March 6, the boys track team held a meet against Crown Point in Lake Central’s fieldhouse. The Indians won and hope to continue winning. The boys first started the meet with field events such as long jump, pole vault, high jump, shot put and discus. They then advanced with the running events such as relays, hurdles, dashes and runs.

“[Today’s meet was] pretty good even though some of our varsity sprinters weren’t here, but we did pretty excellent with the JV,” Noah McClellan (12) said.

Many of the boys were put into events that they normally would not compete in since there was an absence among the team. Giving athletes new events to compete in may be challenging at first, but in the end it is only for the better. By stepping up to the track when your coach tells you to and putting in all you own, you can only move on up from there.

“Some JV guys had the chance to run because last Saturday and this Saturday, we have qualifying meets for what’s called the Hoosier State Relay, that’s a varsity only event. We got some guys who had a chance to run tonight that didn’t get to run last Saturday and will get to run this Saturday or they ran events they don’t normally run,” Coach Jeffrey Rhody, Science, said.

With this being the start of the new season, the boys are looking forward to many different events like the Hoosier State Relay and the State competition throughout the season.

“My goal is mostly in long jump. I didn’t jump it today, but my goal is trying to get down to state with long jump,” Noah McClellan (12) said.

The boys will compete Saturday, March 10, at the Purdue Qualifiers to qualify for the Hoosier State Relay.