“RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 3” Review

The finale of “RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 3” airs Thursday, March 15 on VH1. The season was announced in August 2017. Photo credit: World of Wonder.

As the third season of “RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars” comes to a close, I can’t help but think how lackluster the season was as a whole compared to the shows other seasons.

If I could use one word to describe to the season as a whole it would be “rushed.” With mostly lame challenges, hurried runways and pieced together drama between the queens every week, the show doesn’t feel as genuine as authentic as seasons past, especially when compared to the previous season of “All Stars.” As I’m writing I find myself struggling to remember what’s happened on the season because of these reasons.

In my opinion, season two of “All Stars” not only the best “All Star” season, but was one of the best seasons of the show as a whole. This long awaited season contained several iconic moments fans of Drag Race still reference today, such as the Alyssa Edwards vs Tatianna lip sync or the “Read U Wrote U” performance. While “All Stars 3” had memorable parts, I can’t see myself or any other Drag Race fans looking back on the season and thinking about how much of an impact had on them.

To me, “All Stars 3” felt like a cash grab the producers put together after seeing the success of “All Stars 2” to get more money and ratings. In my opinion, there should have been more time between the release of both seasons. This way “All Stars 3” wouldn’t have felt as forced as it was to me, and the producers and RuPaul would have more time to focus on the quality of the show, rather than its quantity.