What To Do During A School Lockdown

Tragic school shooting incidents that have occurred all around the country have forced school and public safety officials to accurately re-assess their lockdown protocols and take more safety precautions. More trainings and drill exercises have been planned and executed in school around the US. There isn't a unique school lockdown protocol that can match all of the needs of all schools. Each institution has its own custom designs and different levels of emergency responses on behalf of law enforcement officers. The factors will graetely influence the way a lockdown protocol will look. But a protocol that might look flawless on paper might prove to have a lot of gaps in real life.

Simulations have recorded worrying delay in in the actual initiation of the lockdowns, and real life incidents have shown delays of up to a few minutes. The fail rates during simulations run between 60% to 80%, when individual school personnel has to perform and communicate the decision to have a lockdown.

And while school managers and officials still have a lot of ground to cover, here are a few useful behavioral tips for students during lockdowns.

What To Do During A School Lockdown

• Pause, look for an adult you can trust, hide somewhere safe and wait for help to arrive. These are the three main actions you will need to focus your full attention on during a lockdown at your school.

• Try not to panic and take a brief moment to take a deep breathe and slowdown. This will help you make the best inspire decisions possible.

• Listen to your classroom teacher's instructions or look for the principal or someone from the school staff you are familiar with.

• Keep in mind a lockdown requires a different approach compared to a fire drill; you may be asked to use a different spot for hiding, and you will need to pay close attention to the instructions you will receive. In case there is no responsible adult you can trust around you during the lockdown, try to find the nearest and safest hideout place on your own. It could be the classroom's designated safe corner, or the nearest classroom, if you are in a hallway, as well as a closet, a locker room, or a bathroom stall. Make sure your fee won't show and lock the door, if possible.

• It is essential for schools to be able to keep close ties with emergency office locksmiths that can assess and service all existing types of locks on entryways straight away. All lock and key problems should be handled immediately and with no delays. The smallest glitch into a school's physical security system could lead to a break-in or a school shooting incident.

• Access to schools needs to be restricted to authorized personnel, students, teachers, and parents. Visitors should go through filters in order to have the identity checked. They should also be scanned for any weapons or dangerous items they might be carrying on them with the help of metal detectors and other similar devices.

• Do not open any doors – if possible, lock the classroom door you are in and pill the blinds down.

• Always wait for the exit signal before you leave your hideout place.