First game victory

Mateo Cortez (9) tries running through two Munster defenders. Cortez scored the team’s first touchdown for the game and the season.

The freshmen boys took on their first game of the year on Aug. 23 against the Munster Mustangs. They prevailed over their opponents with a score of 33-6. The boys worked together and overcame their first game jitters.

“Yes, I had a few butterflies. I’ve heard a lot about the [Munster] team and I had a few concerns, but we played better of the two,” Diego Garcia (9) said.

The first touchdown was made by Mateo Cortez (9) in the the second quarter. After the second touchdown in the third quarter, the game was pointing toward a win.  

“I had a good feeling that the game was going our way, but still had to play hard and keep the lead going,” Garcia said.

Kicking for the Indians was number 10, Luke Neidy (9). As a freshman, there is always room for improvement to better the team and fulfill his own goals.

“For the team I would say we could work on communication, and team building because coming from three different schools we need to find a rhythm together, but I have to say that it won’t be hard because we have a great group of guys. Individually I could work on my defensive reads and play execution,” Luke Neidy (9) said.

Next week the team will face Hammond Morton High School on Aug. 30. The boys hope to bring the intensity from this game with them to Hammond.