Q & A: Mrs. Renee Swetlik: Performing Arts Secretary

+Mrs.+Renee+Swetlik+smiles+in+her+new+workspace.++She+just+redecorated+her+desk+area.
Mrs. Renee Swetlik smiles in her new workspace. She just redecorated her desk area.

Q:  What exactly do you do for the school?

A:  I am the secretary for the entire performing arts department, and that encompasses band—all the bands, from concert band, to marching band, to jazz band—all the choirs and hand bells.  We have different choirs, [and] two groups of hand bells, and [the performing arts department] also encompasses the theater. They added Theater this year, so it’s a pretty big department.

Q:  What got you interested in music?

A:  I played an instrument when I was little. I did not play an instrument in college, and I only played for a short time in high school.

Q:  What did you play?

A:  I played the clarinet, and both my boys were in percussion when they were younger.  They both graduated from LC.

Q:  Where did you go to school?

A:  I went to school in Illinois. The high school I went to is called Thornwood High School. For college I went to Robert Morris [University] in Chicago.

Q:  What is your favorite part of working here so far, or what are you looking forward to most?

A:  I love the variety. I love the secretarial work, that’s what I originally went to school for.  I love the interaction with the directors and the fact I get to interact with the kids. It’s huge. I love interacting with the students too, it’s a lot a lot of fun.

Q:  The overall vibe of working here must be good then?

A:  It is fun. You have your busy times; you have your stressful moments, that comes with any job, but it’s a lot of fun. Every day is something new and different.

Q:  What do you do in your free time?

A:  I love to read, and we love to go camping and I love to head out to Colorado to visit my oldest.

Q:  Where did you work prior to now?

A:  I have been involved in the corporation since my oldest was in kindergarden. I started off as a room parent, worked with Westlake and worked as a kindergarten aid and librarian at Homan.