Becoming a High School Cheerleader

Carissa Mansfield (11) poses in her new cheer uniform before her first game.

New coming cheerleader, Carissa Mansfield (11), speaks about the ins and outs of her cheer career and what she endured while joining. Mansfield has been involved with cheer since she was eight years old. Her drive to continue cheering was affected by her ambitious mindset.

“I just really want to improve and reach certain goals and skills, and I also want to make my college resume look good so if I continue in cheer, it will show that I can balance school and other activities,” Mansfield said.

At the cheer tryout, Mansfield developed many different emotions. She was looking forward to becoming more social and making more friends, but at the same time, she felt a little nervous about starting a sport at the school.

“On the first day of cheer I was super nervous [because] I had to try out in front of everyone. I was scared that I wasn’t going to be as good as the other girls,” Mansfield said.

Overall, Mansfield is excited to show off her talents and obtain many more opportunities for her future in case she joins cheer in college.

“I am so happy to be part of this sport with many encouraging and supportive people that I rely on to work as a team with,” Mansfield said.