A Senior and Softball

Madison Mullens (12) plays softball outside of school. She hasn’t been on a team since 6th grade and decided to play for her senior year.

Q: Why were you interested in playing softball this year?

A: “I have bunch of friends that play fall ball together each year, but this year they didn’t have enough girls for a full team, so they asked if I would like to play again. After thinking about it for a while, I decided that it would be fun to play one last time with my old friends,” Mullens said.

Q: Why did you want to start playing again as a senior?

A: “I wanted to make my senior year special and do something different. I haven’t played since 6th grade, but I’m still friends with many of my past teammates. I thought it would be fun way to spend time with some of my oldest friends before leaving for college in the fall. It’s like one last hooray before this stage in my life is over,” Mullens said.

Q: Was it hard trying to get back into softball?

A: “It was definitely difficult to jump back into a new sport. Even though I’m still in shape from playing other sports, softball requires me to use different muscles in different ways that I’m not used to doing anymore. I was very sore after the first couple practices and games, but eventually it became easier. My throwing was not very accurate when I first picked back up, but as the season continued my strength and precision began to come back,” Mullens said.

Q: What other sports or clubs do you participate in?

A: “I am also in gymnastics, Science Olympiad, WISE, Future medical professionals, Chem club, engineering and architecture club and NHS. I also babysit and volunteer at the Dyer Franciscan Hospital,” Mullens said.

Q: Does it ever get overwhelming?

A: “Sometimes especially with college applications being due soon, the culmination of different commitments can get quite overwhelming,” Mullens said.

Q: Are you interested in playing after high school, or do you want to do any sports in college?

A: “Depending on where I go to school and what is offered there, I think it might be fun to play softball as an intramural sport. I don’t plan on continuing gymnastics beyond high school, but I plan to stay physically active and continue working out in some way,” Mullens said.