Q&A: Grace Collinge (12)

Grace+Collinge+%2812%29+hangs+up+a+dress+during+work.+She+got+a+job+at+Diva+Dresses+after+she+purchased+her+prom+dress+from+the+store.+
Grace Collinge (12) hangs up a dress during work. She got a job at Diva Dresses after she purchased her prom dress from the store.

Q: How long have you worked at Diva Dresses?

A: “I’ve worked at Diva Dresses for 9 months. In December, I went in to look for my prom dress because I knew it was the only store around here that sold the one I wanted, and I walked in and the owner and manager really wanted me to work there, so when I came back I got an application then got hired shortly after that.

Q: What types of tasks do you do at work?

A: Sometimes I work at the store where I work with the customers and help them find the perfect dress for their event and I also work at a seamstress company that the owner also owns [Thread Diva] where I help with bridal fittings, steam dresses and do any paperwork and filing that needs to be done.

Q: What is the busiest time for the store?

A: The busiest time for my store is from the beginning of November until the end of April. That includes formal and prom season.

Q: What types of dresses do you sell?

A: Most of our customers are there for school dances but we get the occasional people that are outside of that, like mother of the bride or groom, or people who are running an event that they need a formal dress for.

Q: What kind of skills have you gained from working at Diva Dresses?

A: I’ve gained a lot of customer service skills, I’ve learned how to deal with tough customers and deal with people I wouldn’t normally deal with on a daily basis. I’ve also learned how to sew which is cool.

Q: What is your favorite part about your job?

A: My favorite thing about my job is getting to see all the different people and getting to see the look on everyone’s face when they find the right dress. You can tell because that’s the one she’s happiest in. I also love all my coworkers and they make it a really fun time.

Q:What is the worst part about your job?

A: The worst part about my job is dealing with the difficult moms that come along with the daughters. A lot of moms are bossy or basically degrade their children in front of me which makes me really uncomfortable and sometimes I don’t know how to respond to that.”