The Greatness of Sex and the City

Sarah Jessica Parker, portraying Carrie Bradshaw in Sex and the City, is seen as a fashion icon for men and women. She acted, produced and directed this show for six seasons. You can find this photo on thoughtcatalog.com.

As a sociologically imaginative television series, Sex and the City proves itself to be ahead of its time. The show itself ran six seasons with two movie spin-offs, revolving around the lives of four single women searching and living in Manhattan in the early years of the new decade.

The main character, Carrie Bradshaw, portrayed by Sarah Jessica Parker, is a well-established columnist who specializes in writing about sex, relationships, and love. Her persona radiates designer brands, spontaneity, and free will. As a fan of all these things, I personally stand by the fact that she is an extremely resilient woman. Her experiences with failed relationships and heartbreak show the audience one thing: at the end of the day, despite the hardships that a woman faces, she will always be able to pick herself back up.

Charlotte, Samantha and Miranda are her friends around which the show is also revolved. Charlotte is seen as the innocent, prude character of the bunch. Her naivete of what her friends discuss frequently adds to the plot quite well. Samantha is the most “experienced” girl of the bunch. Her wide array of knowledge in sex, fashion, and cultured activities acts a key factor that makes her one of the raunchiest; yet, classiest characters in the show. Last, but certainly least, is Miranda. She was portrayed by Cynthia Nixon and serves as the “Debbie Downer” of the group.

These women all embrace, complement, and contrast one another, and that is what makes this show such a riveting piece of work for its time. Typically, women in the media were never seen uplifting one another; in fact, they were actually seen pinning each other down. This show that was written in and first broadcast in 1999 proves many points: eclecticism was alive and well with the creators and writers. To stay true to the nature of this article, I will end off with my opinion, stated bluntly. Sex and the City and all that it stands for was, and still is, a remarkable show, with an impeccable storyline, and a full of talent cast. Not only will watching this series give one a laugh; but, it will also give the audience an insight from a sociological point of view. Now to end this article, I will ask myself an important question in the style of Carrie Bradshaw: Could you, the reader of this article, really turn to like such a show such as Sex and the City?