Q & A with Alyssa Todd: The choice between swimming and softball

Alyssa Todd (11) comes up for air while swimming the freestyle event. Todd enjoyed spending her sophomore year on the swim team and is looking forward for the junior season to start. Photo submitted by: Alyssa Todd

Q: When did you start swimming and when did you start playing softball?

A: I started swimming when I was in second grade and I started playing softball ever since I was [able to], so around preschool.

Q: Why do you choose to participate in both of these sports?
A: I chose to [participate] in swimming because I loved to swim and be in the water and when I was younger I was a better swimmer than most kids my age, so I wanted to [compete] competitively. I chose to [participate in] softball because when I was in preschool, my mom put me in [a variety of] different sports and softball was really the only one that stuck and the only one I really had a passion for.

Q: Which sport is your favorite to play?
A: My favorite sport to play out of the two would have to be softball because you get close to your teammates quickly. I also get more of an adrenaline rush from being on the field and always being involved in every play instead of being in the water.

Q: What makes you want to play softball at a competitive level?
A: Playing for so many years and forming so many different friendships along the way makes me want to play softball [at a competitive level].

Q: What motivates you the most to participate in swimming in high school?
A: My friends on the swim team motivate me the most to participate in swimming in high school because they’re suffering through the same sets that I’m suffering through so it definitely brings us closer together.

Q: Are the morning practices for the swimming team worth it?
A: The morning practices are definitely worth it because it helps you become a better swimmer. That’s why I need to go to more.

Q: Do you plan to play both sports throughout your four years at Lake Central and into college?
A: I do not think I will continue playing both sports in college and i’m still [undecided whether] I will play both sports for my fourth year at Lake Central.

Q: Who motivates you the most to push yourself every week at practices, meets, and tournaments?
A: My teammates push me every week at practice, meets and tournaments because both sports are really [revolved] around teamwork and competing for your team, not just yourself. At the end of the day winning and losing really comes down to how far you [pushed yourself] for your team and vice versa.

Q: What is your favorite part about swimming?
A: My favorite part of swimming is [competing] in relays and knowing that your teammates have your back and that you’re not just swimming for yourself in those events but for your team.

Q: What is your favorite part about softball?
A: My favorite part about softball is being [involved in] every play as a catcher. You also grow closer to your teammates because you have to be a leader when you’re a catcher. Just having fun in the dugout with your team is one of the best feelings in the world.