Q&A: Nicole Wasyliw (10)

Nicole+Wasyliw+%2810%29+practices+a+wolf+jump+on+the+low+beam.+This+jump+was+easier+because+she+had+a+surgery+on+her+ankle+after+hurting+during+gymnastics.+
Nicole Wasyliw (10) practices a wolf jump on the low beam. This jump was easier because she had a surgery on her ankle after hurting during gymnastics.

Q: Why did you need surgery on your ankle?

A: “I needed surgery on my ankle because I had a bone fragment that chipped off the bone in my ankle. It was pinching the nerves in my ankle so then my ankle would hurt when I was doing certain activities like gymnastics.”

Q: How has the surgery impacted you?

A: “The surgery has impacted me a lot because now it doesn’t hurt to do gymnastics. I got my range of motion back so my ankle can move so I am able to do the skills I need for gymnastics.”

A: Was is difficult to get back into gymnastics?

Q: “It was a little difficult to get back into gymnastics because I had to be out for about eight weeks. I had to get some of my skills back because I was out for so long.”

Q: How has gymnastics been after the surgery?

A: “Gymnastics has been easier since I had my surgery. I am now able to do skills more easily than before. I do still have a little trouble tumbling though, so I have to change some of my passes in my floor routine.”

Q: Does your ankle affect your ability to practice?

A: “My ankle sometimes affects my ability to practice when I’m tumbling. If I do too much tumbling or if I take it too far my ankle will start to hurt so I have to take a break and stretch it for a little bit. Other than that, my ankle feels fine during practice.”

Q: Has this surgery helped you?

A: “This surgery has helped me a lot because I don’t have the pain all the time anymore and I can move my ankle like I was able to before I hurt it.”