Q&A With Mrs. Kari Regan, Dean of Students

Mrs.+Kari+Regan%2C+Dean+of+Students%2C+sits+at+her+desk.+Regan+is+a+former+Lake+Central+grad+and+has+been+in+education+for+12+years.+
Mrs. Kari Regan, Dean of Students, sits at her desk. Regan is a former Lake Central grad and has been in education for 12 years.

Q: What is the most difficult part of your job?

A: “The discipline, I’m sure there are many students who think it’s something we enjoy doing, but it is definitely not. Each case is different. Even though we have handbook and policies for a lot of the general discipline, they are case by case. So someintes the discipline can be difficult because we don’t enjoy it.”

Q: How is this different from your role in the classroom?
A: “Again, I am doing more discipline in this job, I’m not taking things home with me like I was in when in the classroom, to plan and grade and do all of those things. But I definitely still have to time manage and deal with different situations that come on a daily basis. Just like in the classroom, you never know what will happen.”

Q:What do you miss about the classroom?
A: “I miss the daily interaction with the students, that was something I always enjoyed, even the daily little comments they would say when coming in the classroom, I definitely miss that part of it.”

Q: What do you like to do when you are home?
A: “I love spending time with my family. I have to two kids: my daughter just turned 21 and my son is 17 so he is a junior in high school. I definitely enjoy family time, I love going on vacations [and] something else I love doing is going to concerts. [I] go to a lot of concerts, Bon Jovi is definitely my favorite band, I’ve probably been to over 35 concerts of just them but I love taking my kids to concerts that is something I enjoy doing.

Q: What is your favorite thing to do on the weekend?
A: “still spend time with family, I get together with my best friend. Shopping I can be called a shopaholic, I have three dogs so they take up a lot of time to.”

Q: What time do you wake up to come here?
A: “I wake up everyday at 4:15 but I live a half an hour away from here. I generally get here around 6:45.”

Q: What does your job consist of besides discipline?
A: “That’s a big part of the job actually, I do the morning and lunch supervision. I help with traffic duty in the afternoon. Discipline is a big part of it, but I’ll go to meetings I try and help the assistant principals with what they need. Look at attendance when I have down time.”

Q: What’s the funniest things that has happened to you in your career as a educator?
A: “That’s a good question actually, I don’t think I can think of a specific example. Fortunately, I get along with all of my coworkers [and] I always enjoy when something happens it the classroom. I am definitely one to make fun of myself and I love to get the kids to laugh so something along those lines, I cannot think of anything specific now, but it would probably be in the classroom. Whenever we could just break up the monotony of whatever it was, because I taught english, and it wasn’t the most excitinting subject, but just to get the whole class laughing.”

Q: Have you ever gotten a detention when you were in school?
A: “Actually I never did, I guess I was a pretty good girl.”

Q: for those students aspiring to go into education what would you say to them.
A: “Work hard, be very flexible because you might have the best plans laid out and they look great and you never know what might happen that day so you have to be flexible with each and every day. Enjoy it because there days that are very challenging and rough, but the good days far outweigh the bad.”