Review: Mary Poppins Returns

“Mary Poppins Returns” is a new version of the classic movie “Mary Poppins”. The movie has inspired many people-young and old.

“Mary Poppins Returns,” released on Dec. 9, 2018, brings back the world of Mary Poppins 54 years after the timeless original movie circulated. The movie received a 78 percent on Rotten Tomatoes and does an outstanding job of sparking nostalgia in viewers.

The movie follows the children of Michael Banks, the child from the original movie. The family home is in jeopardy of being foreclosed, and in the midst of this, the three Banks children get paid a visit from Mary Poppins. The imagination of these children must be restored and Poppins has a wonderful way of reminding these children–and the adults–how to have an imagination.

Lin-Manuel Miranda played Jack, the lamplighter in the new film. In my opinion, he made the movie. Miranda is the man behind the hit Broadway play “Hamilton,” and has contributed musically to “Moana.” His work is always extremely powerful with whatever he creates and contributes to.

There are also many inspiring messages that are shown throughout the movie that anyone could benefit to learn from. Emily Blunt did a fantastic job portraying the character of Mary Poppins and getting these valuable lessons across.  

This sequel is definitely worth your time if you are looking for a tear-jerking, yet heartwarming film. I would rate this movie a 9/10.