Taking on Theater

Allison+Mybeck+%2810%29+participates+in+gymnastics+and+does+theatre+production+at+Lake+Central.+This+was+her+first+year+working+with+theatre.+
Allison Mybeck (10) participates in gymnastics and does theatre production at Lake Central. This was her first year working with theatre.

Q: Why did you decide to do theater this year?

A: “I did theater this year because I thought it would be fun and different.”

Q: What do you do specifically?

A: “I was on the sound crew for the play ‘Charlotte’s Web.’”

Q: Do you wish that you did more or a different part of theater like acting instead? Why?

A: “No, I like being on the crew and I really liked being on sound, but I might want to try something else if I ever do it again.”
Q: What do you enjoy about it?

A: “I enjoyed learning about all the tech stuff like the soundboard and how to do sound effects.”

Q: Is there anything you dislike about it? Why?

A: “I didn’t like [setting up microphones for] people and I didn’t like when things would go wrong during performance because then everyone was scrambling around to try and fix it and it was really stressful.”
Q: Do you think that it is difficult to participate in? Why?

A: “No, I don’t think [theater’s] difficult to participate and you just have to be willing to learn how to do something and be trained on it.”

Q: Are there any plays or other activities that you are required to do outside of class?

A: “[All of the] sound stuff that I’ve been talking about for ‘Charlotte’s Web’ [is outside of class], but in class we learned about things like lights and I was on costumes for an in-class play and then we had to go to the performance outside the play, but in class, we learn about lights, sound and set in all the other crew stuff.”

Q: How do you manage to do theater with other activities like gymnastics?

A: “Well, I did the fall play so it was easier to manage with gymnastics because it ended right as practices started picking up so it didn’t really clash.”

Q: Do you think that other students should join theater? Why?

A: “I think that other students should give theater a try. It’s a big commitment but it’s really fun to be trained and all the equipment.”

Q: Do you plan on continuing it next year? Why?

A: “I don’t know if I’m going to do the fall play again because I missed a lot of fun stuff on the weekends with my family and friends.”