Q&A: Madeline Bugg (10)

Q: How did you get interested in gymnastics and when did you start?

A: When I was little, five or six, my brother used to do hockey at midwest and I saw [the gymnast] were [practicing] so that got me interested in it. There was a gym over there and so I’d go there and had fun, but I knew i was interested because when I did softball I used to do cartwheels on the softball field, so my mom put me in softball to keep my energy up and I stuck with it.

Q: How long have you been doing it?

A: I think 12 years.

Q: Why did you decide to keep going?

A: The push to the extra mile. There’s a goal to get a medal to do better, to improve on a skill and I don’t really give up that easily so when I want something I honestly can’t stop [pushing, and] that happened with gymnastics.

Q: What is your strongest event?

A: Vault.

Q: What is your weakest event?

A: Beam.

Q: How have you improved?

A: I actually improved a lot on beam a lot with my confidence and and smiling on it.

Q: What records have the team broken this year?

A: The team has broken the team score not once but four times I think. Now we’ve broken the vault, floor and bars record, that was in one meet for four of us. I broke the all-around. Cloe Amanatidis (9) also broke the all-around. I tied the vault record, and Cloe broke the school record for bars I think so we’ve broken quite a few.

Q: How does breaking all these records make you feel?

A: It makes me strive for perfection and to clean up everything. It means the team is improving, and we are improving, and we have a chance to go to state.

Q: Because the team has broken so many records, do you think there’s going to be a crash somewhere or do you think you’re going to keep going up?

A: I think there’s a lot of push on you, It makes you feel like you have to always be good. Some days you’re going to have a bad meet so you can’t strive for perfection every time.

Q: What is your favorite part of the sport?

A: I feel like bonding with my team [is my favorite part]. I kinda started a fire again this year. I think that’s my favorite part.

Q: What is your favorite memory from this season so far?

A: When Sophia Born (12) sung the opera, and our puppy chow moments.  Allison Mybeck (10) makes puppy chow every away meet, and she needs to bring two tubs or some people will get mad [because there isn’t enough]. We like our food.