Q&A: John Scanlon (10)

John Scanlon (10) gets his head shaved for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation assembly on Friday, March 15. This was Scanlon’s third time shaving his head for the foundation. Photo by: Karisa Candreva

Q: What motivated you to shave your head for St. Baldrick’s this year?
A: All of my friends decided it would be fun to shave our heads together so we decided to do it.  I brought up the idea first because I said it would be fun.

Q: Do you know anyone who has been affected by cancer?
A: Both my grandma and my uncle have passed from cancer.

Q: How long have you been planning to do this?
A: My friends and I decided to shave our heads about two months before [the assembly].  Some of my friends took more convincing than others but eventually they all agreed.

Q: Have you shaved your head before?
A: I shaved my head in 5th and 6th grade.  In previous years almost no one in my school did it so there was much more attention drawn to it, but many people at LC participated in it so it wasn’t as big of a deal.

Q: How did you sign up to shave your head?
A: All you have to do to sign up is to go to the website and make a profile which takes a few minutes at most.

Q: How much money did you raise to donate to the foundation?
A: Me and my brother Jack formed a team and raised just over $300.

Q: Were you nervous before shaving your head?
A: I was not very nervous to shave my head because I had done it before and it was nothing new to me.

Q: Did any of your friends shave their heads?
A: Me and my four friends, Jason Doyle, Gianni DiTola, Jack Schilling and Jake Chen (10) shaved our heads together.

Q: How did you feel after shaving your head?
A: The only difference was people staring at me occasionally or the temperature difference on my head.

Q: What was the most rewarding part of this experience?
A: The most rewarding part of this experience was just seeing my friends and I raise money for a good cause and have something to do together.  It is more exciting with your friends because it gives you something to talk about.

Q: Would you recommend this experience to other people?
A: I would recommend others to shave their heads because it is for a good cause and the children need it.  I would say people should definitely give it a try because it’s for a good cause and it’s only temporary.