Review: “Roma”

“Roma” won a total of 178 awards, including three Oscars and a Golden Globe. The film was about the life of a Mexican middle-class maid in the early 1970s.

“Roma” tells a moving story about Cleo, one of two domestic workers for the family of Antonio and Sofía. The film accentuates the divide of class in 1970s Mexico with the opening frame of Cleo (not in frame) scrubbing the driveway full of the family dog’s feces.

Cleo, played by Yalitza Aparicio, is a woman of few words who does her best to satisfy the family she works for. Throughout the film, she sometimes gets scolded for small things such as leaving the dog’s waste on the floor for too long, or leaving her light on at night and wasting electricity. The occasional outbursts from either Antonio or Sofía frequently remind her, as well as viewers, of her middle class status. Mexican films tend to show the fine line between high class and anyone slightly below; “Roma” emphasizes this concept in a groundbreaking way.
At the same time, however, the film does not forget to highlight the heartwarming moments Cleo shares with Antonio and Sofía’s four children. Cleo acts as a mother towards the children, constantly feeding and dressing them, as well as putting them to bed. Throughout the film, Cleo finds Sofía welcoming her more into the family once Cleo discovers she is pregnant and the father has left her. Sofía and the children take Cleo along with them on a vacation while Antonio visits his mistress.

Golden Globe and three-time Oscar award winning film “Roma” is a extraordinary story directed by Alfonso Cuaron. Filmed in gorgeous black in white, “Roma” is an incredible Mexican film that touches audience members of all kinds who follow Cleo’s life.

Before watching this film, my aunt and cousin said it was bad, and it didn’t deserve all the Academy Awards it got. They said, “Just because it’s in black and white doesn’t mean it should get a full sweep in awards.” The thing is, I think, there is more depth to the story. It’s not so much of an entertaining film with action and plot twists. It’s a film that shines light on the childhood memories of Cuaron.

Personally, I think “Roma” is shot beautifully; each camera angle helps in telling the story and contributes to the excellence of the film. From an exceptional screenplay to beautiful cinematography to actors that move critics and viewers alike, “Roma” is the perfect film for audiences to enjoy and appreciate the beauty of Cuaron’s life through Cleo’s perspective.