Every drop counts

Viscosity is the state of being thick, and semifluid. It may be hard to believe but water has different levels of viscosity, which means it has different thicknesses, and fluidity.  Another major factor that affects how you experience water is density. All water has different density which is the degree of compactness, which affects how heavy it feels to you. When asked, students were very opinionated as to if they thought water had different thicknesses, fluidity and weight.

“Yes, I do think it does have different thicknesses and densities, depending on the pools I swim in, some are easier or harder based on the thickness of the water,” Joshua Burton (11) said.

While many students said they felt the difference in their water, some had never even thought about it and couldn’t even decide. They didn’t know what to say and were puzzled after hearing the facts about water’s density and viscosity.

“I don’t really know how to approach the question but from my personal experience, I say Dasani is the best tasting water I’ve ever tasted in my entire life. But the question, I don’t really know about the thickness of water,” Jack Davis (12) said.

Although there were some who really thought that water didn’t have any difference in thickness, fluidity or weight. Even after being told that water had different viscosities and densities some still denied the thought of water being different.

“I don’t think they have different thicknesses, they have different taste. But they do not have different thicknesses, it’s not like pudding,” Jacob Bailey (12) said.

Mrs. Carrie Brown, science,  was asked to break down why water feels different to all the believers and nonbelievers. She explained why water seems to be thicker and thinner and give us the real facts about what actually affects how we experience water.

“So the taste of the water or how you experience the water is a result of what the water travels through and what has been added to it, and than those affect how it feels on your tongue. What chemicals are in the water will determine how it flows differently. Some water that has more added to it will have a higher density, so therefore it would feel like it was heavier or ‘thicker’. Some of the particles added to water are heavier, like magnesium. Some tap water will add magnesium for heart health and things like that. If you look on the periodic table magnesium’s atomic mass is 24.3 and water’s atomic mass is 18.02, so you can see the difference. That’s why they are going to have different density and viscosity.” Brown said.