Springing into the season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Springing into the season

Cole Thompson (9) competes in the 100 meter dash alongside fellow teammate, Kyle Kujawa (12). This was the second meet of the season.

Frida Arellano

On Monday, April 22, the unified track team held a meet at home against Merrillville and Crown Point. Even though the team was defeated by Merrillville, everyone was still able to enjoy the sunny day outside with their fellow peers and friends.

“My favorite part about competing is cheering everyone on so they can do their best. I decided to join unified track because I wanted to help kids with mental and physical disabilities exercise. I enjoy competing in long jump because you don’t have to run a lot, just jump,” Tatum Murawski (11) said

Unified track is an IHSAA sport that contains a mix of special education students and any other student who is on the team. Other than that, it is just like track except everyone who wants to join can. There are also less events to compete in.

“I joined unified track because I really enjoy working with the West Lake kids and Special Olympics. I think it’s a really rewarding experience as well as another athletic activity to be involved in,” Trent Schneider (11) said.

Even though the season has already started and meets have already passed, there is always a chance to join next year and other ways to be able to work with students in the special needs program.

“I would highly recommend others to join unified next year because it’s an awesome experience both for the body and soul. It’s a lot of fun and the people involved are outstanding,” Schneider said.

The next unified track meet will be held at Chesterton on Thursday, April 25. Feel free to contact Mrs. Karen Brann, Specialty, for any questions regarding future events.

• Trent Schneider (11) competes in the long jump. His distance was measured at 13 feet and 8 inches.

• Noah Gottfried (11) runs in 100 meter dash. Unfortunately, the team was defeated by Merrillville High School.

• Mr. Jeff Rody, Science, shoots the starter gun to commence the 400 meter dash. The meet was held at home.

• Students and peers cheer on their teammates as they compete in events. The unified track meet was held on Monday, April 22.

• Cole Thompson (9) competes in the 100 meter dash alongside fellow teammate, Kyle Kujawa (12). This was the second meet of the season.