Q&A: Vivian Cronin (9)

Vivian Cronin (9) and her hockey team pose for a selfie after winning the National Championship. Cronin and her team were overwhelmed with excitement.

Q: When and why did you start playing hockey?

A: I started playing hockey when I was six years old, after the Chicago Blackhawks won the 2010 Stanley Cup. It inspired my brothers and I to start playing.

Q: What team are you on, and when did you join that team?

A: I play for the Chicago Mission, one of the best organizations for tier one girls hockey. I’ve played on the Mission for three seasons.

Q: What was the process of getting to nationals?

A: The process in getting to nationals took lots of effort, hard work and dedication.  

Q: How did you and your team prepare for the national tournament?

A: My team and I worked very hard to prepare for the National championship tournament.  We were on the ice four days a week, and we started preparing ourselves at the beginning of the season. [We] set one goal in our minds, to win a National Championship

Q: Where was the national tournament?

A: The National Championship was held in Irvine, California. It took a lot of mental preparation to stay focused on our goal, but to also enjoy the last times stepping on the ice being a whole as a team

Q: What was going through your head before going into the championship game?

A: I was very nervous to say the least. The rush of excitement [knowing] that in an hour or two one of the two teams on the ice would be holding up that national banner was exciting, and that excitement running through your body does whatever it takes to be that winning team.

Q: How did it feel to win the national title?

A: The feeling of winning a National Championship title is truly unforgettable. All the hard work and sacrifices made throughout the season definitely paid off.