Road to success

Jocelynn Cheesebourough (11) and Nicholas Kiepura (12) attend the first BPA meeting of the year. They were two of the many students who showed up to participate in the club.

On Tuesday, Sept. 2, the Business Professionals of America had its first meeting in room C126 after school. The meeting was to set the tone for the year and welcome new faces to the BPA family. There was a great turnout, but that seemed normal to Mr. Todd Iwema, Business, the sponsor of the club.

“I don’t remember what we were up to, I think it was somewhere in the range of 50-70 kids last year. I’m guessing it will probably be somewhat the same because of the Anaheim [competition]. To be able to go to California is always a nice thing plus it looks great on a resume,” Mr. Iwema said.

The members for this upcoming competition season are a blend of new and returning members, but the veterans are the ones most excited for the new year. Many of the returning members, including Jay Chopra (11) are ready to help the new members prepare for the season.

“[My advice is] to try hard for districts so at least you can make it to state and then try your best to make it to nationals because [the] top five can make it to nationals in almost each event,” Chopra said.

The members first compete in the local district competitions, then State, then, if they qualify, Nationals in California. The students compete in various business categories, which allows the club to set goals for each topic.

“About 39 qualified for state last year and about 19 of those qualified for nationals, so there are no real goals we just hope they do well,” Mr. Iwema said.

The dues for BPA are $70 and are due by Oct. 8. The state competition is March 15-17 in Indianapolis, Indiana and the national competition is May 6-10 in Anaheim, California. The next meeting will take place later on in September.