Indians Claim Victory in Varsity Boys Football DAC Championship

On Friday night the Varsity Boys Football team brought home their first DAC Championship.

“Winning DAC feels great. The kids, the school and hopefully the community can be proud of their conference champions. As a coach, I think we can always do better, but I’m going to let the kids enjoy it and not critique it too much. In the end it’s not about me. I’m happy for the kids; they deserve all the credit. They are the ones who made it happen,” Coach St. Germain said.

Valparaiso lead 0-10 for the beginning of the first quarter. However, their lead was short lived as the Indians fought back. David Yancey (11) had a 60-yard run for the Indians’ first touchdown. Jon Vea Johnson (10) followed with a touchdown of his own in the second quarter. As the game went to half time, the score was 13-10.
Yancey added another touchdown in the third, and in the fourth the Vikings scored their final touchdown of the regular season. Yancey wrapped up the game with another 60-yard-run touchdown with 2:33 left to go on the clock. Vital plays included broken passes from Chase Fieldhouse (12), Matt Madsen(11), Dylan Morang(12) and a turnover by Luke Taylor (11).
“Every single second is worth it when you can say you are champions,” St. Germain said in final words to the team
The DAC Championship is shared with LC rival Merrillville.
“[Sharing the championship] doesn’t matter; it’s a big compliment to our players,” St. Germain said.
Next week, the Indians have a chance to defeat Merrillville in their first post-season game, and Merrillville was LC’s only regular season loss.
“Winning DAC is indescribable. I’m on cloud nine, but [my celebration will] be short lived because Merrillville is already on my mind,” Yancey said.
Next week, LC will be out for revenge.