Book Club discusses Belzhar

Gabrielle Frigo (12) and Mrs. Kathryn Clark, English, listen to Juliet Johnson (12) while she talks about her view on the book. The book they were discussing was “Belzhar” by Meg Wolitzer.

On Wednesday, Feb. 11, Book Club members met in the library to discuss their latest reading and decide on the next one.

“The book we just finished was called ‘Belzhar,’ and it was an interesting novel about a girl who is sent to a special in-between school for teenagers with mental issues,” Eva Kimberly (11) said.

In addition to talking about the book, members also discussed the next the book they would venture into.

“After discussing what we just read, we usually talk about the next book we want to read. As a group we decided to read ‘Lolita’ by Vladimir Nabokov next,” Kimberly said.

Book club members are excited to read “Lolita” and anticipate a good discussion afterward.

“I’m excited to read “Lolita” with the group because it’s a classic, and I think it will give us a lot to talk about.  After all, Nabokov introduced the term ‘Lolita’ to the lexicon, and the story has been referenced in countless songs, books, movies, poems and artwork since its publication. I think it will be a great read,” Ms. Elana Arens, high school librarian, said.