History in the making

Gabriel Henderson (11) shows his friends the World War II propaganda poster he made for his U.S. History class. Several members of the History Club were amazed by the detail and historical accuracy that was encompassed in the piece.

History Club met in room C313 on Tuesday, March 10, to discuss future projects and fundraising plans. Recently, the club was awarded membership into the National History Club and is now the seventh chapter in Indiana.

“I think it’s a big morality booster. Before we were just operating on what we could do, but now that we are official, it’s a sense of pride. We are part of a bigger thing with the same mission,” William Morris (10) said.

Several officers and members are helping the Tri-Town Safety Village plan and advertise for the Honoring Veterans 5K/10K Walk and Run on May 23. Members are helping to pass out flyers and raise awareness of the event, located at the Safety Village, to students.

“[Planning this] gets us involved in our community and that’s what we are supposed to do, so it helps out the students a lot. We are getting [the run] familiar with our community by sending out [flyers] to different parts of Northwest Indiana. We can get more people to [participate] in the run,” Duaa Hijaz (11) said.

History Club has been selected to head the Veterans’ Day assembly next school year. Members are reaching out to a variety of veterans from all branches of the military. For Mr. Thomas Clark, Social Studies, this is a highly anticipated event that is long overdue.

“I’ve never seen a program in 33 years at this school for veterans. [History Club] is committed to things like that. It fits their realm, and they seem to have a deeper understanding of veterans and what they are all about,” Mr. Clark said.