Lost game, not lost expectations

Alexa Pinarski (9) pitches in the third inning. Pinarski prevented many Mustangs from making it to the bases that could have.

Lake Central’s JV Softball team faced off against Munster in their first game of the season and lost with a score of 5-2.

“We could’ve done better. We just need to do better on defense and we need to hit more, hit a lot better, and [work on] better base running,” Cheyenne Mathas (9) said.

The game started off a little late and a little slow at first. At the beginning of the game, the Indians and Mustangs seemed evenly matched, and players from both teams ran bases but never made it to score an official run.

“I expect my players to continue to improve.  We have a great group.  All the girls have been playing competitively for a long time.  We definitely have some work to do in different areas, but I am confident in the group we have.  All 16 of my players bring something a little different to the table,” JV Coach Magdos said.

After the first few innings, Lake Central scored and lead with a score of 2-0. The Lady Indians kept the lead until Munster began scoring, and led within the last innings of the game.  Lake Central may have lost their first game in the season by score, but they did not lose hope and expectations for a successful season at hand.

“Our base running and hitting improved significantly from game one to game two.  I think we had some first game jitters, but we got that out of the way, and we are ready to take on anyone,” Coach Magdos said.