NHS inducts new members

Current National Honor Society Vice President Nicholas Kiepura (12) gives a speech to new NHS members. At the end of the induction ceremony new officers were announced.

National Honor Society inducted their new members on May 7.  Lake Central’s NHS sponsor, Mrs. Rhonda York, English, and last year’s officers started off the induction ceremony with speeches.

NHS members recognize the club’s appreciation towards students who exceed academically and participate in extracurricular clubs and sports.

“We work really hard and we study a lot to maintain our high GPAs, so I think [NHS] is a really nice recognition,” Alexa Adams (11) said.

National Honor Society promotes character, scholarship, leadership and service to the students inducted. Many students enjoy the benefits that the club grants.

“[NHS] is going to help me get into a good college; it will look nice on my applications,” Abby Cappello (11) said.

Along with having the ability to show involvement in school, NHS members are able to better themselves and the community. By the end of the school year, members of NHS will have aided the community by contributing a total of 35 service hours.

“[NHS] helps you gain more responsibility because you have to do your service hours and help your community. I think it will make me feel like a good person contributing to the world,” Kristina Skvarek (11) said.

New office members were announced at the close of the induction ceremony and the students and families who attended were welcomed into the Town Square for refreshments.