Unexpected Outcome at the Varsity Cheerleader’s State

This Saturday was the Indiana Varsity State Cheerleading Competition. The competition took place in Southern Indiana. The varsity squad competed against 18 other teams from across the state. The Girls were surprised to find out that they had placed fourteenth because of a 20-point deduction.

“I definitely felt it was one of our top performances, so I was really surprised to find out we got fourteenth. Considering the mistakes of the other teams, I felt we were going to do very well,” Brooke Lambert (11) said.

The Girls were deducted 20 points by the judges because of an inverted stunt- where a flyer’s feet exceed her head while she was in the air. Without the deduction, the squad would have placed eighth.

“I feel like we did enough to get top five, and I feel we were judged unfairly. The judges didn’t see our potential,” Jordyn Carta (12) said.

During the Preliminary State Competition, which was held the previous weekend, the girls also ran into some issues with the judging. The Girls’ tumbling was not scored correctly for difficulty.

“I feel the judging all around was inconsistent,” Lambert said.

The outcome of State was unpredicted and shocking to the team. They hope to improve on their skills for next year and place higher at state in the future.