Dollars For Scholars updates members

Miss Ashley Kline, Guidance, gives the volunteer opportunities available. Christmas in the Park was one of the events that students can volunteer for.

On Nov. 19, Dollars for Scholars met for updates about the club. Although the semester is winding down, the various volunteer opportunities are not.

“We have monthly meetings where we just update the students about upcoming volunteer opportunities, past fundraisers and upcoming events,” Miss Ashley Kline, Guidance, said.

With the holiday season quickly approaching, Dollars for Scholars members are needed to fill the gap for volunteers in Christmas events.

“[A big event] right now is Christmas in the Park. In St. John they have that festival every year. Basically, students volunteer as elves, and they work with the young kids that come there,” Miss Kline said.

Through volunteering, DFS has a prominent presence in community; however, DFS hopes to expand their online presence through social media.

“Dollars for Scholars is the biggest club in the school. I want to show people who we are and what we do. Social media is so huge right now, especially Twitter, so I just want students to show us what they are doing. Everyone basically likes taking pictures, and I think getting our Twitter account growing more will show how strong DFS is at Lake Central,” Miss Kline said.
The next Dollars for Scholars student meeting is on Dec. 17.