NHS’s brief but necessary meeting

Miss Rhonda York, English, tells NHS members about volunteer opportunities that will be coming up. Students were able to sign up to be princes at a showing of The Little Mermaid.

On Thursday, March 3, National Honor Society, led by Miss Rhonda York, English, had a brief meeting in the LGI Room.

“We discussed collecting items for Miss [Myra Lolkema’s, English,] trip to Haiti. She is collecting medical supplies like Ibuprofen and cream, so we’re trying to get some of that to [bring] with her. We are [also] looking for gentlemen to serve as princes at the princess tea for ‘The Little Mermaid,’” Miss York said.

NHS is a club for students who have a 3.33 grade point average or above. Students have to show that they are of high character, a leader and can be of service to the community.

“[For NHS] I help out coach Halterman with the middle school weight lifting program, train the kids and teach them how to work out and be physically fit,” Tyler Dernulc (12) said.

Volunteering in the community can help students feel closer to its members and feel good about serving.

“I enjoy [being in NHS]. I feel like it’s kind of opened my eyes to how good it feels to give back to someone when you get nothing in return,” Kaylee Rodell (12) said.

NHS meetings are held on the first Thursday of every month.