New National Honor Society Assembly

Students+listen+to+those+running+for+office+positions+in+National+Honor+Society+give+speeches.+People+ran+for+president%2C+vice+president%2C+treasurer+and+secretary.+
Students listen to those running for office positions in National Honor Society give speeches. People ran for president, vice president, treasurer and secretary.

New members of National Honor Society gathered in the LGI Room after school on Thursday, April 29 for their first meeting.

“To get into [National Honor Society], everyone who is a junior or senior that has a 3.33 grade point average was sent an invitation to fill out an application. Only people who wanted to apply responded, and they had to show evidence of character, leadership and service on their applications,” Miss Rhonda York, English, said.

In National Honor Society, students volunteer in their community and track their service hours. Members have to get at least 35 service hours to stay in the club.

“I do a lot of service work and I’d like to receive some recognition for it. I feel like [being in National Honor Society] is a good way I can encourage others and be a leader for younger kids coming in. I feel like it will mold me into a better person and [teach me to] be more respectful and generous to the community,” Madelyn Nohos (11) said.

At the meeting, Miss York handed out papers with information about the induction ceremony and service opportunities. People who are trying out for president, vice president, secretary and treasurer of the society also gave speeches.

“I [want to be president because I] was president [of National Junior Honor Society] in middle school. I really enjoyed the opportunities it provided to work with the community and work with the school and try to give back. I think that everyone should take pride in their school and try to make it better,” Joseph Grzybek (11) said.

The induction ceremony is being held on Thursday, May 5 at 6:00 p.m.