Future Medical Professionals discuss guest speakers

+Neil+Giovani+%2812%29%2C+Justin+MacNeill+%2812%29+and+Katlyn+Ardt+%2812%29+discuss+fundraisers+at+the+Future+Medical+Professionals+meeting.+The+club+has+given+students+an+opportunity+to+listen+to+medical+professionals+talk+about+their+jobs.%0A%0A
Neil Giovani (12), Justin MacNeill (12) and Katlyn Ardt (12) discuss fundraisers at the Future Medical Professionals meeting. The club has given students an opportunity to listen to medical professionals talk about their jobs.

On Monday Oct. 3, the Future Medical Professionals met to talk about guest speakers and fundraisers. The club offers personal accounts from medical professionals.

“We have speakers that sort of relate their experiences, their training, their day-to-day life and things like that. Our main thing is guest speakers that inform,” Mr. William Keep, Business, said.

This first hand experience has benefited Justin MacNeill (12), one of the presidents of the club.

“You can read all you want on the Internet, but when you actually have a professional talk to you first hand, you can ask them personal questions. [Future Medical Professionals is] the only kind of environment where you can get that experience,” MacNeill said.

The club hosts multiple fundraisers throughout the year.

“The last two years we hosted a fundraiser table tennis tournament, which has been fun,” Mr. Keep said.

Mr. Keep has a personal connection with the message of the club. Mr. Keep’s daughter had a difficult time choosing classes for a medical career, an issue that the club wishes to solve.

“[My daughter] had a hard time getting into the University of Iowa nursing school, even though she was at Iowa for the first two years. It totally messed up her college career. You can learn from people’s experiences,” Mr. Keep said.

MacNeill recommends joining the Future Medical Professionals because it gives students more exposure to the medical field.

“[The medical field is] a field that requires a lot of passion and time so you don’t want to make that mistake [joining] something you are not interested in,” MacNeill said.

The club meets again Thursday, Oct. 13 in C218.