Checking up with history club

Kyle Orciuch (11), Samantha Szewcyzk (11), Alexis Nikolovski (11) and Eva Throckmartin (12) listen to Mr. Clark as he talks to the club. Mr. Clark started History Club last year.

On Friday, Oct. 7, students met in Mr.Tom Clark’s, Social Studies, room for History Club. The officers talked about the Veteran’s Day Ceremony and the Smoothie King fundraiser.

The officers talked about the different committees and how they have to start planning for the ceremony.

“We do a lot of things for our community. We participate in things like supporting the troops, and right now we are planning the Veteran’s Day Ceremony,” Caitlin Mavity (11) said.

History Club, which is sponsored by the History Channel, helps with the Vietnam Project. Mr. Clark has been doing the Vietnam Project for many years and focuses mostly on the Vietnam Veterans from Indiana. Mr.Clark and his students go and try to find pictures of all the people that were killed or are missing in action.

“Later on in the year we help with the veterans 3K/5K Run/Walk and the Vietnam Project,” Mavity said.

After the officers were done talking about the ceremony, Mr. Clark played the movie “The Book Thief”.

“We do a lot of fun things like watch movies, have discussions and play games,”Mavity said.

The students in History Club are from all grades, and they all have the same thing in common. They all love to learn about history.

“It”s just fun to be in a environment with people that really want to learn more about history and have fun at the same time,” Mavity said.

The meetings take place every Friday in room C313.