The gift of giving

Allison+Schuch+%2812%29+wheels+past+the+toy+section+with+a+cart+full+of+clothes.+Schuch+was+the+group+leader+of+the+9-10+year+olds.+
Allison Schuch (12) wheels past the toy section with a cart full of clothes. Schuch was the group leader of the 9-10 year olds.

On Dec. 2, Student Council and students of Mr. Robert Kania’s, Science, classes went to Walmart to spend the $14,600 they raised this past month. All 1,177 items, including toys and clothes purchased were delivered to The Salvation Army in Munster the next day.

“The first thing we did was split shopping leaders into six different groups. Each group had to keep track to the penny of what was put in their carts. We had people shopping for boys toys, girls toys, boys clothes and girls clothes for each of our six age groups. After the groups got to their totals, we headed to the front of the store to check out. At certain times our line was at least 10 carts deep,” Rachel Frieling (12) said.

Aside from all the purchases at Walmart, PTE teachers and their classes adopted 56 kids from the area to do a school-wide angel tree.

“My favorite part is probably shopping specifically for the angels. Just knowing that there are kids out there needing all these things makes me want to help them even more so they’ll have a little joy for Christmas. We had angels and stockings that teachers and students shopped for and all the stockings were for kids that are affected by AIDS. Every little thing we bought is going to make a big difference in someone else’s life and I couldn’t be happier with how everything turned out,” Morgan Calligan (12) said.

Often while shopping, people at Walmart will stop and ask what is going on, it leaving those who ask with a full heart.

“All in all we did really well and we didn’t even go over our budget. Being able to be a leader in a project as successful as this is one of the greatest things I could ever ask for, especially during my senior year,” Frieling said.