All you need is love

Kaitlyn Kennedy (10) works on decorating the card for Valentine’s Day. Kennedy decorated the cards with her friends in the club.

On Thursday, Feb. 9, Habitat for Humanity met in Mrs. Amanda Schuyler’s, Social Studies, classroom to work on creating cards for children who will be spending their Valentine’s Day in hospitals. With a table full of different colored paper, stickers and other decorations, there was an opportunity for the club members to show their creativity.

“I loved making each individual card unique and different. Also, while making them, it was fun to imagine the joy a child would have receiving it,” Mia Collier (10) said.

On Saturday, Feb. 11, members of the club delivered the cards to patients at different hospitals near the school before Valentine’s Day arrived. The girls were able to visit the hospital patients and those in the nursing home and deliver their cards themselves.

“We went to Saint Anthony’s hospital in Crown Point. There, we took some to the pediatric unit and handed them out to the people in the nursing home. Then, we went to Merrillville and gave some to their pediatric unit. It felt really good because the elderly people were so happy, and it made their day,” Autumn Flennar (10) said.