Review on “Abstract: The Art of Design”

The first episode’s title sequence of “Abstract: The Art of Design” shows on a screen. This show was released on Netflix in February.

“Abstract: The Art of Design,” a Netflix original documentary series released in February, focuses on unsheathing the lives of successful designers and their work in an artful and modern way.

Starting with Episode 1 about an illustrator for the “New Yorker” and finishing on Episode 8 about renowned portrait photographer, “Abstract” has the ability to expand the definition of design and reinvent the way viewers will see products, the arts and objects littered throughout the world.

The different aspects of each artist’s life are dug into by the directors and producers of “Abstract” to give a personal and in-depth account of the individual processes of each artist. The featured designers explain their work and give backstories about successes and failures that led to their inspiration. Watching the process and hearing the reality of design gives new meaning to a shoe, a set, a car or a poster.

Getting to know a car designer or a graphic designer means looking at more than their work. “Abstract” is the key for viewers who would have never previously been exposed to find beauty and purpose in an object they may have just passed by a few days earlier. A new, fresh beauty is attached to the realization of all the work that goes into design.

“Abstract” does a phenomenal job of keeping episodes personal and crisp because they are uniquely designed to match the personality of each designer that is featured. The subject of the matter is reflected in the backbone of the show, which creates a full circle experience for the viewer.