Calling All Artists

On Sept. 14, 2023, the Art Club callout meeting was held in room C125. Mrs. Cowan, the club sponsor, went through a slideshow presentation detailing the upcoming projects. One of which is the Youth Art Month Flag Design contest where different student-made flag designs compete across all of Indiana. A total of four flags can be submitted per teacher and the final design will be voted on in November. The activity for the rest of the time was creating a “doodle cup”.

“I purchased some paper coffee cups with lids. My idea is that we spend some time today getting to know each other and doodling on a cup. Then, next time we meet I’m going to have snacks and drinks for you guys, and we can drink out of our art cups,” Mrs. Cowan ,Art, said.

This would be the first year of Art Club without Mrs. Yaeger, the previous sponsor, since she retired last year. Art Club was asking for some pretty big shoes to fill, but Sarah Fleming (12), one of the student leaders, was up to the challenge.

“I knew that I didn’t want the club to end, so I had Mrs. Yaeger find a teacher willing to at least sponsor the club and handle the funds. I knew I wanted to help come up with new projects and be there for those students who don’t feel comfortable talking to a teacher,” Fleming said.

Joining art club can be a great way to hone in on art skills. Many artists at Lake Central, such as a returning club member Sergio Marin (12), are passionate about their creative hobbies. 

“I’ve been doing art for as long as I can remember. To me, art is about expressing creativity and testing your limits, and I think a large part of why art appeals to so many people is because it’s about self discovery and self expression. I think it’s a good way to showcase your talents,” Marin said.

The next activity will be a clay project and any student interested in joining must bring $10 to cover the cost of most supplies. Meetings are usually held once every month and the next proposed date is Oct. 17.

“Art Club is meant to be a stress-free club. You aren’t required to go to every meeting. Each meeting is only for an hour and a half after school, so for the most part it works around people’s schedules. There are no due dates. Everything you make will be praised and seen as a work of art without the pressure of a grading scale. It also helps anyone involved make new friends. Art Club provides you with people of similar interests, so it’s almost easier to make friends,” Fleming said.