Finding the drive to volunteer

Club members listen to sponsor Ms. Rhonda York, English, explain blood drive volunteer opportunities. NHS members were allowed to volunteer at the sign up table and the actual blood drive event.

The National Honor Society met on April 6 to discuss their next big project. NHS is responsible for organizing the blood drive each year and volunteer opportunities are abundant.

“We discussed the blood drive, volunteer opportunities and when our hours are due,” Daryn McElroy (11) said.

Students were given the opportunity to sign up to volunteer at the blood drive sign up table during lunches. Students will be able to sign up for the blood drive from April 10 through April 20. The blood drive itself takes place on April 21, which is another volunteer opportunity for NHS members.

“[In school opportunities] makes it easier to find hours because it can be hard to find hours outside of school because there are limited opportunities and times that students can [volunteer],” Madison O’Drobinak (11) said.

Also included in the meeting was a new tutoring program proposed by Samantha Szewczyk (11). The tutoring program gives NHS members the opportunity to mentor their peers while gaining service hours.

“It’s a program for students who do struggle in subjects so they can have a place to go where they can get help that is different from going to a teacher. Ms. [Rhonda] York, [English], and I are enlisting NHS members to help with the program and we hope that it will be a success,” Szewczyk said.

The next NHS meeting will be held in May in the LGI. Juniors interested in being officers should prepare a short speech to present for the next meeting and inform Ms. York about the position desired before May.