Springing into French traditions

French club’s president, Theodore Mantis (10) opens the club meeting with a powerpoint. The topic was French traditions in spring.

French club’s most recent meeting brought the club member’s together to talk about springtime traditions in France.

“We’re going to talk about culture, and doing cultural things like making crepes and Mardi Gras and all those kinds of things. I like to discuss things that are maybe more cultural,” Beverly Bovard, World Language, said.

Helping Mademoiselle Bovard plan her club meetings is club president, Theodore Mantis (10).

“Our president has been doing some research and using powerpoint presentations to present some information. Then we usually have an activity that’s related to them,” Bovard said.

Mantis opened the club meeting with a powerpoint explaining that day’s topic and exploring some ideas of French traditions.

“Today’s meeting is basically about France in the springtime and such. We’re not going to cover just Easter because it just happened recently, but all the months of spring in France. We’re going to look at the activities, and we’re going to do a competitive game later on that shows similarities between American traditions and French traditions,” Mantis said.

The club’s goal is to give students a chance to learn more than just the textbook basics and turn a classroom setting into something fun.

“It’s something in addition to what we’re learning in a classroom. We might touch base on some of the same things, but it’s not like sitting here and having another French lesson,” Bovard said.

As the school year dwindles to a close less and less people are attending meetings, but you don’t necessarily need to be taking French to be a part of the French club.

“For club meetings and stuff like that we try to welcome anyone at a French speaking level to come down and learn more about the French culture. We want to expose people to more culture than the classroom setting can really provide to us, and we want to make sure everyone has an enjoyable time. We’re able to talk about things that we don’t get to cover in a classroom setting and [that] help us discover more about ourselves in terms of creativity,” Mantis said.